Friday, August 25, 2017

Once disqualified from joining Mt. Horeb church, John B. Castleman reminisces.


In his autobiography 'Active Service', John B. Castleman wrote about his desire to join the church for his mother's sake, and his unorthodox beliefs, that once kept him from membership, at Mt. Horeb Presbyterian Church.

  • The year was 1852, and John B Castleman would have just turned 11 years old. 
  • His father David Castleman died on May 22, 1852
  • His brother Robert Harrison Castleman was killed on June 22, 1852
  • Mt. Horeb Church still stands in Lexington, KY


General Castleman wrote:

[...There was being held at Mount Horeb, a "revival meeting," and there was much interest. I had listened with an absorbing attention. It was not possible for me to understand or to believe in Calvinism and the expounding of the confession of faith. I felt that I was a free agent. I did not believe in the devil, nor did I believe in God's wrath and in torment in the hereafter. My biblical knowledge was very limited, but I believed in the love and mercy of God, and that "whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die." And I tried to comfort my bereaved mother with the thought that man, made in God's own image, was immortal and could never die.

My father had passed away, and a month thereafter my brother Robert was killed. My mother was the first consideration of everyone in her household. My thought was to do anything that would give my mother comfort. So I thought of joining the church. During the revival, those who contemplated joining the church were, at each meeting, asked to come to the front seats. It was customary for the pastor, or one of the elders, to examine the religious views of those contemplating "making a profession of religion." The pleasure that my mother would realize came to my thoughts. I was among those responding to the invitation to come to the front seats. I fell to the lot of Elder Thomas Sprake, a good man for whom everyone entertained great respect. I was asked the customary questions as to my belief, and, in a simple but frank way, gave Mr. Sprake my views about religion — and was disqualified.

Thus my unorthodox views kept me from being a member of Horeb church. But, at this writing, I am one of the trustees of the church, and I esteem this the greatest honor I have had.]
----

source: 'Active Service'

No comments:

Post a Comment