Thursday, August 24, 2017

Grievous errors: Letter from John B. Castleman to President Andrew Johnson, June 7, 1865

General John Breckinridge Castleman
circa 1863

From John B. Castleman

Indianapolis Ind. June 7th 1865
To the President of the U.S.
Sir.

    In the Summer of the year 1862, being then less than Twenty one years of age and living near Lexington Kentucky, I was induced to engage in the Rebellion, and joined the Rebel Army. I continued in that service, and was arrested in Southern Indiana in the month of September 1864, and have been since that time a prisoner and held under charges for trial. In what I did, I was led to believe, and at the time thought, I was doing my duty. I am now convinced that my action was wrong from the beginning, and that I have committed grievous errors.

    For what is past, I can only express my sincere regret, and promise to strive by my future action to atone for it by faithful efforts to discharge my duty as a citizen of the United States.

    With this preliminary statement, I desire now to ask that I may be permitted to take the Oath of Allegiance, and be released on such terms as may to you seem best. And if it is not possible for proper in your judgement that this should be done, I ask that I may be allowed to become a voluntary exile to some other country, for life or such shorter time, as may be deemed by you sufficient, Subject to such penalties for returning as may be imposed, and giving my obligation in such form as may be required, to observe strictly the terms of the order and to do no act of hostility in any way to the United States.

   I hope it will be found consistent with your views of duty and of the public interests to grant my request.


I am, Very Respectfully

Your Ob't Sv't J.B. Castleman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment