Sunday, August 20, 2017

Alfred Castleman's request for pardon sent to President Andrew Johnson

To His Excellency Andrew Johnson, President of the United States,


Andrew Johnson
 17th President of the United States



I Alfred Castleman aged 69 years, a farmer by occupation and a resident of Clarke County Virginia, most respectfully represent that I desire to obtain a pardon and frankly state all the facts in relation to my position. I have held no office under the Confederate or state government since the commencement of the rebellion and have never been in the Army. I had two sons in the United States Army one of whom was killed, and two in the Confederate Army. After the battle near Snicker's Ferry or Castleman's Ferry as it is sometimes called, in July last, there was a Hospital for U. S. wounded soldiers, established in my neighborhood and I waited upon them and furnished proper love for them. It is due to truth and candor, to state that I was a Southern man, and my empathies were with my native state, and alltho I took no part in the war, I desired that the Confederates should succeed, and I who for the Ordinance of Secession.
I have remained quietly at my farm attending to my own affairs, and have not taken a prominent part in the unhappy strife. I have taken the Amnesty with, which accompanies this ?????? and I intend in good faith to observe it, and hope to lead a quiet law abiding life for the remainder of my days.
My taxable property is estimated at more than twenty thousand dollars, but I am with considerably less than at the commencement of the rebellion. I do not know that I have done or said any thing which should justly subject me to punishment of my property to confiscation, but friends in whose opinion I have confidence have ?????? me that it is best for me to ask for a pardon, and as I wish not to be disturbed in my old age. I most earnestly and respectfully ask that you will grant me a pardon.
We the undersigned residents of Clarke County Virginia, do hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Alfred Castleman who has signed the ????? ????? for a pardon, that he is a gentleman of veracity, whose statements may be relied upon and we believe that the facts stated in the ????? are true. Given under our hands this 28th day of August 1865
?.P. Pendlet???
Wm McGuire
????? Shepherd
Gallahan, Jefferson Co.
M Pulliam
?????
If my pardon shall be granted, please endorse it to me at Winchester Virginia to the care of P. Williams, as there is no post office at Berryville in Clarke County near to which I reside.
A. Castleman 
??? ????
Your ?? servant
Alfred Castleman
August 26, 1865
Clarke County to int
J M Pulliam a Justice of the Law in and for this country aforesaid in the state of Virginia, do ?????? certify that Alfred Castleman whose name is signed to the ?????? Letter for a pardon, made with ???? me in my county aforesaid, that the facts stated in said ?????? are true to the best of his knowledge and belief.
Given under my hand this 28 day of August 18, 1865
M Pulliam JP

Alfred Castleman, Pardoned by Andrew Johnson

1 comment: