Saturday, June 23, 2018

Letter from Alfred Castleman of Virginia regarding Pension for Service in the War of 1812.


Berryville, Clarke County
Virginia
Jany 31, 1879

Dear Sir,
Your favor of the 21st -??? duly rec'd, and contents noted. My infirmity from age does not permit me to remember with precision whethor or not I rec'd a land warrant or not; but if the record shows the fact then I must have gotten it, since I was very intimately acquainted with Benjamin Morgan & Treadwell Smith, who are both now dec'd. Col. Benjamin Morgan married my own niece, and Treadwell Smith was for some years engaged in business connections with me - evidence of which I send you. There was never any other Alfred Castleman in Capt Taylor's Company, except myself. In fact I am the only per-son in Virginia by the name of Alfred Castle-man. Enclosed you will find agreement returned with oath to signature accepted.

Alfred Castleman

No comments:

Post a Comment